Goodbye Wallflowers, Hello Jakob Dylan!

Before I even pressed play on this album I already had it in mind to write an amazing review on it... I have to admit, I'm completely bias as soon as I see the name "DYLAN" on anything.
However, I just looked at Jakob Dylan's tour schedule and there's no mother f'ing Toronto date... SHIT. PUSSY.
I'm furious.
Luckily for you this review might be a little bit more realistic now that I'm angry...


That's a lie.
I'm sorry, there just isn't anything negative to say about Jakob Dylan.
After the fifth time going through the album looking for any constructive critism so that I can have at least a bit of legitimasy in my review, I've come to the conclusion that there just isn't any.
Listen for yourself at www.myspace.com/jakobdylan and feel free to tell me what YOU think in the comments spot.

Forget the rock and roll that was the Wallflowers, this album has Jakob stripped down to beautiful, soft, acoustic folk songs. His underlying tones still remind me a bit of the Wallflowers, but only because of Jakob's signature style and raspy, hotsexx vocals. The rest is pure folk, deeper and darker than you've ever heard Jakob before.
The last name brings him a lot of pressure when it comes to writing music, especially as he enters the folk world his father dominated for so long.
Jakob does not disappoint.
Not surprisingly, J shares the more modern day political views of his father, and you can definitely pick out the strong influence he's had over Jakob's writing. It's nothing short of brilliant.
The album itself doesn't sound much like a Dylan record, but could compare to a gentler Bruce Springsteen or Tom Petty.
While Bob Dylan has the voice of god, Jakob has the voice of Jesus. There is even one point in the song I Told You I Couldn't Stop, where his voice really resembles daddy's, and to be honest it almost made me cream my pants.
Each track is a masterpiece all in it's own, bringing you deep into every emotion Jakob puts out through his writing. The mood goes from sombre and subdued to cheerful and merry as you ride each note of his guitar, and by the end of the album he leaves you feeling perfectly satisfied.
Jakob describes his own album best in Up On The Mountains when he sings "You go down, you go deep, but you won't surrender a masterpiece."
All hail the Dylans.





I'm Sarah. I do what I want.