Reel Big Fish ... Reel Big Flop?

Well, maybe that's a little harsh. After all, their last album (Fame, Fortune and Fornication) wasn't original material, but 10 somewhat poorly chosen covers.
It's actually not horrible, it's typical Reel Big Fish style hyperactive horns and humorous undertones, still incredibly tight and well constructed... but it's no Take On Me. And the songs aren't ones which I would ever care to hear in ska-form. Who chose these songs, really!?
Halfway through the first track, Nothin' But A Good Time, the album is already becoming too repetitive. Although that's almost expected in a way from the band it seems like they didn't step outside of the box quite enough on this attempt. Why are they releasing a covers album anyway? Where's Me First and the Gimme Gimmes?
Despite the poor selection, they do a great job of giving each song a Reel Big Fish makeover, and their skill of incorporating horns into pretty much anything does not go unnoticed. It's all so incredibly upbeat that it just starts to get on my nerves after a while. Up until the last song there is nothing that I would want to go back and listen to more than once... the last track (Talk Dirty To Me), however, has a PHENOMENAL female vocalist named Tat (Tatiana Demaria) and she really makes the song something else.
I love RBF but this release does not get any props from me, sorry guys!



I'm Sarah. I do what I want.