The Status - Let's Be Honest EP

When I first looked at this four song EP with one Christmas track on it I wasn't sure if it was going to be something I would deem worthy of the few dollars spent on Itunes for the album.
Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas and love when pop/rock bands of any kind do holiday songs. And “Christmas Time” by The Status is no exception. This original Xmas melody is super cute and fully embodies the spirit of Christmas and the bands style of pop/rock all in one. It’s catchy, it’s fun, yet it’s also a sad love song when you listen closely… but like most Christmas tunes the music itself stays upbeat and festive regardless of the lyrics and still manages to put me in the spirit of things even more than I already am.
However the second Christmas is over so is my Christmas playlist... leaving only 3 tracks on the EP that I will be listening to in January.
And then I heard "Let's Be Honest", and to be honest, this song alone is worth the mere $4 download fee. At first listen I liked it, but it starts off sounding all too similar to many of the pop/punk bands I find daily on purevolume.com that I wouldn’t be able to pick out in a crowd. And then all of a sudden they get down and dirty about halfway through when they come in with the lyrics ‘you choke when you speak but I know what you mean, get off of the fence you’ve been caught in between, tell me everything’ and I started to swoon. With the mood turning slightly angry, an emotion that emits clearly through the singers lovely voice, they show that they have a little more to offer than the rest of the bands spitting out the same drab music. And I continue to listen to this song over and over even just for that part, but it made me appreciate the song as a whole that much more knowing it was coming.
"Heart & Soul" is next sounding like basic rock music, but when the build up to the chorus hits they’ve got me once again, switching between crunchy power chords to great melodies provided by the lead guitar. They definitely have a grasp on radio friendly rock music with catchy lyrics that are totally sing-a-long’able.
"Don’t Think We Can’t", the last track on the EP, is a great down tempo song with really simple chord progressions that compliment the vocals well. I can’t help but think there’s something missing to the song though, maybe layers of vocals… It reminds me of Hinder’s “Lips of an Angel” slightly, but don’t let turn you off this album.
All in all this EP is surprisingly pleasant to listen to whether you enjoy Christmas or not. At times even reminding me of Dashboard Confessional, the epic style of the vocals and the certain words he sustains while singing. It’s convinced me to go back and listen to their full length So This Is Progress, which is even better than the few songs on this EP, since we’re being honest here.

It’s Chris James Bitch!/I’m Sarah, I do what I want.