Neon Indian – Psychic Chasms

I’ve always had a soft spot for that blippy, dreamy electro-pop, so I was pretty stoked when I first heard Neon Indian, the latest side project of Alan Polomo, aka the electro dance beats creating crowd pleaser, VEGA. The sound is similar, but has a decidedly more chill, relaxed feel, with the exception perhaps of "Ephemeral Artery", which is the heaviest track of the bunch. You could still dance to a lot of the other tracks, but most are something I’d rather sit in a comfy chair, smoke a joint and bop along to. Apparently these guys have got many comparisons to MGMT, which kind of confuses me. They don’t really sound much alike at all, but I do like them both. Maybe it’s that dewy-eyed, hippie kid sensibility those who make the comparison are talking about, which seems to have more to do with image than their actual sound. There are a couple of gems on this album, my absolute favourite being "Should Have Taken Acid With You". Crank that song on a nice big pair of headphones, lie on your bed in the dark and just trip out (with or without the help of any uh, substances – your choice). That’s what I do anyway. It’s been on repeat in my room for the past couple weeks now, and every time I just lie there with a huge shit-eating grin on my face. Only thing that I don’t like about it is that it’s too damn short. "Deadbeat Summer" is another winner; it immediately evoked carefree summer nostalgia, creating a longing for a breezy summer bike cruise that is painfully palpable. Actually, the entire album has this feel. God, I miss summer.
Palomo’s fuzzy vocals compliment the instrumentation perfectly – you feel like he’s singing eyes closed, half asleep, daydreaming about summer love and…crap, I got lost in his voice and forgot what I was talking about. Well, you get the point.
An ideal evening with Alan Palomo - You come home, sweaty and exhausted but adrenaline still buzzing, after dancing your face off at a VEGA show. Then throw on Neon Indian as you fall asleep. The dreamy cool down to your crazy electro dance workout. Pretty much perfection right there.
By Dagny Piasecki.
Missy.