Scatterheart can Master my Plan any day. Huh?


Nothing could make me more excited for my trip to Vancouver in less than a month than discovering (well, they discovered me but whatever way you want to look at it..) an awesome rock et roll band from BC called Scatterheart. The Master Plan is the band's second independent (or so it appears) release since they formed in 2006 and it's packed full of Queen, Bowie and The Police influence in their not-too-heavy but not-too-soft glamorous rock/pop works of art.
You know it's good when they already have their own wikipedia page, where the band is described as "edgy and heavy without being angry or self absorbed", a statement that couldn't be written better and truer unless it was written by me. *cough*
Their wiki status might have something to do with their guitarist Doug Fury, who apparently toured with rock goddess Bif Naked for 10 years... WOW!
He describes this project as having that "70's and 80's arena rock" excitement and on their website is quoted as saying "Where has the personality gone in rock n roll? We want to bring it back", something that is done throughout this album, without question.
Now, enough of the outside quotes... time for some gems of my own.
Listening to the album is like having a threesome deep inside your ears. And no, I don't mean penis IN your ear or anything like that, but like a threEARsome with eccentric rock sounds on top of epic pop-like harmonies and you, smack dab in the middle of this titty-licious tug of war between genres.
The Bowie and Queen influences are lightly apparent throughout each song but tracks like "Donna, Don't Give Up" and "Shut Up" clearly portrays the influence of The Police without question, and oddly enough I keep hearing some Mariana's Trench style pop punk mixed in as well. These punk undertones shine through the drums in songs like "The Free" especially, and even by way of vocals in songs like "You Try" where I could almost picture Cedric Bixler-Zavala of Mars Volta singing when I close my eyes. On top of that the similarities to Giddy Lee of Rush and Perry Ferrel of Janes Addiction are obvious, and each comparable sound comes together to create a very intricate, and far from boring, form of rock that you definitely don't hear on the radio today.
Scatterheart manages to bring the 'fucked up on happy drugs' feeling of raves, where the singer frequented a lot earlier in life, to the rock and roll scene without actually needing any of said happy drugs... unless of course you want them.
"Shut Up" and "My Love" stand out as my two favourite tracks, the first one with dynamite back and forth vocals between the singer and some female vocalist, and the second a clap-a-long tease, giving my hands blue palms by the end but keeping me coming back for more.
Too bad they aren't playing in Vancouver while I'm there. SIGH!
But, I love them anyway.
Check them out on their myspace.

I'm Sarah, I'll clap if I want to.