Millencolin/Sainte Catherines @ Phoenix/Sneaky Dee's

Review by: Alyssa "CuntLove"
So, I’ve basically been waiting to see Millencolin again since I saw them at the Opera House two years ago and had my mind blown, and the show at the Phoenix last night did not disappoint. So what if it was a Sunday night and I have to be in Guelph for class by noon today…fuck it!
I was stoked to hear that Wish Me Luck, Mockingbird was set to open, since a friend of mine introduced their music to me about a week ago and they sounded pretty badass… but I’m not exactly sure what went on with them last night. I may have just gotten to the venue a bit too late (8:00!?) and missed them, or maybe they played while I was waiting to sit in on Julian’s interview with Millencolin, but I think they may have actually not shown up, causing Millencolin’s set to be bumped from 10:30 to 9:30. That’s how I chalked it up until I saw that they had some merch there. ***Epic confusion***
So whatever, I guess I’ll just have to go hit up one of their shows another time. Bastards.
The Sainte Catherines of Montreal hit the stage around 8:30 and launched into a set that actually far exceeded my expectations. Don’t get me wrong, they’re not anything overly original, but they played a slightly above average set with a lot of guts, and overall, I found them quite charismatic. Maybe not an album I’d spend time listening to on my own, but definitely a band I’d be interested in seeing live again. They all looked greasy as fuck (mad respect!) and they played the stage with a lot of energy, especially the singer, who even stopped to “conduct” at one point, which was pretty funny, although he could have used a little band camp to help him with his form ***half joking☺***.
The aspect of this band that stood out most, at least in my opinion, was the drummer. Okay, so I’m a little biased because grrrls in the punk scene kind of make me need new panties, but even while I was buying my beer before I started paying attention to the stage I was thinking “well, fuck, it’s about time someone hits the drums like they mean it!” Her drumming was pretty tight, and she was wicked fun to watch. I managed to run into her during Millencolin’s set, and told her that she played a great set and that it was awesome seeing badass, talented women in punk rock. She thanked me and told me that she tries to represent. Fuck. Yeah.
Millencolin was on next, and as they played through Pennybridge Pioneers in its entirety, I felt like I was 16 again. It’s one of my favourite albums, and I think it’s pretty safe to say that every single song on it is catchy, badass, and, well, just plain fucking awesome. They played the songs a lot faster live than on the album, which worked beautifully, since it made them that much easier for the crowd to dance/mosh to. They weren’t exactly flawlessly tight (I picked up a few fuck-ups here and there), but the pure energy of the band, and just of the quality of the songs themselves were enough that it didn’t matter. Anyone who wasn’t overly musically inclined probably wouldn’t have even noticed any flaws at all.
They were each excellent performers, pulling off sweet moves like it was nobody’s business and making it really difficult to get a decent picture of him, since they were constantly moving. Another great aspect of the performance was the backing vocals, which were tight and (95% of the time) right on. The volume was turned up maybe a little too high on the mics, but it still sounded awesome.
After Millencolin’s set, we headed over to Sneaky Dee’s at College and Bathurst and were serenaded by Nikola Šarčević, (Millencolin’s singer), who played a solo acoustic set. He played a few of his own songs (even a couple in Swedish!) as well as some covers. It was lovely, but, being an acoustic set, it was a little on the boring side, and left me wishing the cover hadn’t been ten friggin’ dollars. The highlight of this set was definitely when Mathias Färm (Millencolin’s guitarest) joined Nikola on stage to sing on a cover of The Misfit’s “Skulls”. They made it their own, slowing it down, leaving it sounding gorgeous and haunting.
So in all, incredible night, incredible shows, well worth passing out in the middle of my poly sci lecture.

CHECK OUT A CLIP FROM HIS SOLO PERFORMANCE AT SNEAKY DEE'S!


CHECK OUT A VIDEO OF THE PERFORMANCE HERE!

AND CHECK OUT OUR INTERVIEW WITH MATHIAS HERE!

CLICK FOR MORE PHOTO'S!

THIS REVIEW DONE BY: Alyssa "Cuntlove", THANK YOU ALYSSA!!! XOXO