THE Perfect Xmas Gift! Music 4 Cancer: The Cause CD

Now this is a compilation I can get behind.
While all the crappy bands were busy covering crappy top 40 songs for yet another crappy Punk Goes.. compilation, the WICKED punk bands ended up getting together and donating their time and talent to Music 4 Cancer, a compilation featuring one 22 song acoustic disc and one 25 song punk rock disc put together to raise money for cancer research.
Punk rock + ACOUSTIC + charity.
And it's not just any wicked punk bands, but the perfect combination of the bands I used to listen to in high school like Strung Out, Less Than Jake, Death By Stereo, Swingin' Utters, Pulley, Good Riddance, NOFX, Bigwig, Millencolin, Hot Water Music and Voodoo Glow Skulls (just to name a few..) and more recent bands carrying on the punk tradition like The Riot Before, The Loved Ones, Dead To Me, Blacklist Royals, Pour Habit blah blah blah .... and a hell of a lot of previously unreleased tracks.
Not only do you get to hear the most solidly put-together punk comp but more importantly you can gain the satisfaction of actually doing a good thing and helping somebody who needs it when you buy this album.
It's $14.99, which to me seems more than fair: cheap enough for a 2 disc'er, but pricey enough to feel like you're actually giving some money away for charity.
I love it.
I feel more often than not these days artists will sing and sing and preach and preach about helping those around you and serious issues like cancer and so on, but when it comes to actually doing something about it they just sit in their million dollar houses satisfied that they've written one song about it. Meanwhile these are the artists that have the money to make more of a difference. The musicians who took part in M4C aren't nearly that financially stable. Most of them probably still have jobs on top of touring and yet they all dropped what they were doing to be a part of something they wouldn't necessarily profit off of, but a lot more people who have been affected by cancer will.
And let's face it, every single person either has or will be affected by cancer. Which is why it is so important to keep funding research for a cure.
This goes for your favourite singers and favourite bands too... another reason this album was made, a lot of those featured on it have their stories to tell and amazingly enough some of them are survival stories with happy endings... which supports a lot of my faith in what they are trying to do. In the booklet alone there are stories from big players in the project like Jay Spinet (founder/producer), Vinnie Fiorello (Less Than Jake), and Rob (Blacklist Royals), all of which inspire you to buy 20 copies of the album and give them away to everybody you know as Christmas gifts (actually what I might do) just so that you can do more to help, knowing that happy endings are possible.
Happy endings = Happy Sarah.
heh
The entire reason I got involved in the music scene in a hands-on sort of way instead of just listening to it was in order to raise money for everything that I felt empathy towards as a child. I used to watch all those Toronto Humane Society specials when I was little and every single night would plop myself down on the couch with my parents at 6pm as they watched the news. I grew up always wanting to make a difference, and having this eery confidence that I could --for example when I was about 5 or 6 I truly believed if I could just talk to the President of the States and explain my idea of going up in front of the entire country to tell people that they don't have to hurt each other and it's not right... and they would totally have listened to me because I was a cute little girl and if I was smart enough to see how unnecessary violence was and how much it hurt everybody around it, then surely they would clue in and stop!-- I started putting on punk shows in Cobourg when I was only 14 years old because I had no money of my own to donate towards everything that I wanted to help. Desperate to make a difference I went to talk to the town councillors or whatever you call them in order to use the Bandshell to throw a huge donation-only based concert, the first time anybody had done it in Cobourg. Almost half the town came out to it and we ended up making a shit load of money for the Hospital Foundation there. The satisfaction that gave me was like nothing I had ever experienced before and so I continued to throw shows benefiting everything from the Animal Shelter, Children's Aid Society to Polio Research (haha, my friend did a project on polio around then... random) and a full decade later I'm still doing it, right now I'm planning a Christmas show to raise toys and donations for children who won't get to experience a happy Christmas otherwise.
[If any bands are interested email me!]
Music and those who play it posses the ability / gift of reaching out to many, many people and to see this acknowledged and used for the greater good actually makes me want to cry just a wee bit.
The only cure for empathy is action. It's just a shame that more people aren't empathetic towards the rest of the world around them. The best part about an album like this is that those without much empathy who love punk rock will pay money for it regardless of whether or not they give a shit about what it's for.
And this is how you make a difference... trick the assholes!
Or just play them NOFX's acoustic version of "My Orphan Year" because that gut-wrenching little doozy will rip out your heart, stomp on it and then carve it up like a Christmas turkey no matter how much of a hard ass you are.
CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE/PURCHASE THE ALBUM!


I'm Sarah. I do what I want.