Deep Dark Woods at the Dakota Tavern in Toronto ...

Excuse the lack of effort I'm about to put into this, but I'm going through another one of those tired-of-writing-about-music periods, and on top of that I paid $10 for this show which usually warrants me getting really drunk and not reviewing shit.

However, Deep Dark Woods were so good that they deserve something written about their show.

If you haven't heard of them yet they play seemingly simple folk-infused, mellow rock, but if you look/listen closely enough you'll discover the intricacies behind their phenomenal sound and performance, starting with the steel pedal and the swapping of lead vs rhythm guitar duties between front men. The keyboardist builds a beautiful background for the band, and to put it bluntly he's talented as fuck. The backup vocals are pure and surprising coming from the members, but perfectly compliment the singer, who by the way has one of the best on stage personalities ever, keeping you entertained between songs effortlessly. The drummer keeps it tight and adds some flare to the sound, despite the blank stare he sports on stage giving the impression that he's completely zoned out of the performance. He's not.

I hadn't listened to the band extensively pre-Dakota Tavern show last week, and although I was a fan of the music already seeing them live just propelled my love for them into a whole other dimension. Not usually obsessed with slower stuff, they gained more respect for the sleepy speed at which they sometimes play than any other band of their softness, and as I listen to them now I find myself harbouring a strong yearning for more, more, more...

http://www.thedeepdarkwoods.com

I'm Sarah, I do what I want.