NXNE DAY #4: Portugal. The Man & The Flaming Lips @ Y&D Squrrd

Portugal. The Man are probably in my top 5 favourite bands of all time. I just frikkin love them. When I saw they were coming to NXNE I shat, shit and pooped my pants all at once. When I noticed it was at Yonge & Dundas my stomach dropped again, but in a bad way this time.
WHYYYYYYY did that have to be my first experience with them live!!!
I almost didn't want to go... I hate crowds at Y&D, nobody knows the meaning of 'excuse me' when they're thrown into that scene it seems, and you always get just the WORST combination of people who don't even know the band playing or care to listen to them at all.
That was exactly the case on Saturday evening. Of Montreal had just played and The Flaming Lips were up next, so PtheM appeared to be playing to mostly these fans, not their own. Which was unfortunate but also great for them. I'm really hoping that they gained hundreds of fans that night, because despite the location they sounded BRILLIANT. The square Square didn't ruin my first live experience as long as I could see them on screen and hear the perfect sound of their perfect songs I was boner-happy.
All I want now is to see them back in Toronto again soon so I can have an even BETTER experience at a show all their own.


The Flaming Lips weren't really something I was super excited for, again because of where it was. BUT I am all about using the 'once in a lifetime' card on bands like this in order to encourage myself to go, and I had a blast watching their crazy performance. It was only then that I realized that 'once in a lifetime' happens every time the Lips get on stage. They are one of the most creative acts out there, still, and it's not a show that you EVER want to pass up.
Wayne Coyne (the singer, obvy) rolled out on stage IN (literally) a huge see-through bubble and went crowd surfing in it. It's quite possibly the FUNNEST (word) entrance of all time, and I would do ANYTHING to do it myself (EXCEPT work really hard to start a band and become super famous).

BUBBLE BUTT!