The Zolas / Meanwood / The Schomberg Fair / Beams / Canailles / Orchards

Holy fuck was this weekend ever musically épopée!
I'm unlazily writing about all three shows I went to when I only technically have to talk about one, but I'm going to do it in a totally lazy way all together in one post.
Does anyone have a problem with that?

That's what I thought.

The past couple nights have been the kind you want to replay over and over in your head wishing you were Bill Murray in Groundhog Day, only you wouldn't change a thing... except maybe the meals you ate. I mean you basically have unlimited resources and would probably get bored after about 50 do-overs. Is it even possible to get fat if you're just going back to do the same day over again? Come to think of it you'd never have to suffer from whatever you did the day before.. whatever you ate or however much you drank... none of that would ever matter! I would eat so many mini Reese peanut butter cups and drink my body weight in whiskey. That'd be cool!
Uh anyway, that's how good this weekend was.
I still don't want it to end and have basically just shared half a magnum of wine with myself over some new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoons and a few Jeff Buckley sing-a-longs, refusing to call it a night because I'm still thriving off the weekend epic-ness.

It started out with The Zolas at The Great Hall on Friday night. They're a band who I have been obsessively listening to for the past couple of years, never even entertaining the idea of seeing them in my modest views of the Toronto music scene. Luckily they just released a new album and are touring to promote it, enabling one of my zillion concert dreams to come true.
What they lacked in stage presence - the singer was the only one really moving around or looking like he was having fun.. and he was charming and entertaining! The other guitar player looked like Thor though so I wouldn't expect him to look anything other than bored... he'd probably rather be holding his hammer - they made up for in tightness. Everything sounded exactly like it does on album, only louder. Sometimes this would be considered a bad thing, but not with The Zolas. All I wanted was to sing along to the songs the way I heard them on their albums.
They played mostly new songs which I expected and enjoyed but the icing on the Zola's cake was when they ended their set with "Marlaina Kamikaze", an older song that I had been dying to hear all night. Well played guys, well played.

After that I hit up Silver Dollar to see Meanwood and The Schomberg Fair at the latter's CD release. AnD HoLy FuCk. . . I have seen Meanwood dozens of times now and they still managed to blow my load within seconds of amazing blues-infused-country set. Talk about premature ejacuROCK. Does that make sense at all? WHO CARES!
Unfortunately I was fairly love drunk off my humps by this point and don't quite remember The Schomberg Fair, which is a mad shame because I LOVE them and was really excited to talk about their new album. What I do know is that they were fantastic. I know I liked what I heard, I just can't remember what that was. I do remember a shot of whiskey and that's about it. DON'T JUDGE ME!!!!

Saturday night back at Silver Dollar was by far the cherries on this weekends whipped cream covered tits. One of the best live bands EVER graced the Toronto stage... They are Canailles from Montreal. I saw them at Sappyfest and they were my ultimate favourite then, and they came nowhere near disappointing this time.
Beams from Toronto opened for them first and they were fucking amazing. One of the dudes played a SAW. A MOTHER FUCKING SAW. And he didn't cut himself and die like I would have. It was impressive to say the least.
Canaille hit the stage after them and just blew every swamp-country boner in the room at least 7 times. Per song. THAT is how good they are. were. whatever. I honestly don't think I've ever enjoyed a band more than I enjoy Canailles. They have the funniest characters in the band, the best stage presence and the greatest knack for involving the audience. They even called me out for not singing at one point because a friend of mine was distracting me, and made us all sing the chorus again and again and again to make up for it. OOPS! It was fucking amazing. Too amazing for words, so this review is not going to do them justice. You seriously just have to see them. It's worth the bus ticket to Montreal, seriously.
Orchards, also from Toronto, finished the show and were the perfect match to wind down the night. From their incredible vocals to the unique way of drumming (each member has one drum at their feet) they managed to hold their own against the best band in the world and STILL impress me. FuCk YeS.

CHECK THE BANDS OUT HERE:
The Zolas
Meanwood
The Schomberg Fair
Beams
Canailles
Orchards

I'm Sarah. I do what I want.